Everyone knows that if you want any household goods for an affordable price, you head to Ikea. But everyone also knows that a house isn’t a home without a smoker. Despite a distinct lack of Swedish smokers stocked on the shelves of the DIY store, don’t fret, you can easily put one together using an Ikea bin.
All you’ll need is the following:
- Metal Ikea bin
- Circular grill grate that fits the bin
- 3 bolts with nuts and washers
- Electric hotplate
- Food thermometer
- An old baking pan
- Wood chips
After you’ve got all of that, follow these simple steps:
- Drill three level holes about seven inches below the rim of the bin, in a triangle shape.
- Screw in the bolts and attach the nuts and bolts. This is where the grill will balance on.
- Cut a small hole at the bottom of the bin (we just kept drilling small holes to make a larger hole). This is where the lead to the hotplate will go.
- Place the hotplate at the bottom of the bin and feed the lead out the hole.
- Drill another hole into the lid. This is where you can put your thermometer.
- Fill your baking pan with wood chips and soak in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Place the pan with the wood chips on top of the hotplate, then fit in the circular grill, and just chuck in anything you want to smoke!
Once you’ve got that meat in there and its smoking, you will want to keep the temperature at about 110ºC and you will need to change the wood chips every half hour or so. It’s also worth doing some research into which chips to use for which meat.
You may find that your chips burn. If that’s the case, they need to be soaked for longer, or put them in a tin foil casing inside the pan and prick holes in it.
It will take a while to smoke something big like a chicken, but the juice is worth the squeeze (or should we say, the meat is worth the smoke) as the final product tastes as if it was cooked by the Gods.Let us know what you smoked, which wood chips you used and send us some snaps! @thegrillbarrel